Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Recession and Dave Ramsey Show

Millions of American have lost their jobs especially in the last couple of months . A few months ago , a TV show on FBN caught my attention . The show called : The Dave Ramsey Show has opened my eyes on how our finances should be handled . It's biblical view on money is what really caught my attention .

Being African , I should be disciplined in the way of paying CASH for everything, and I mean ery'thin. But no , I veered off the road and became an 'Americana' and got myself into some stupid stuff .

Most of Africa is a CASH market , the cars you see is paid for in CASH and the houses . How many people in other countries pay CASH for cars and houses ? What you see is paid for with good hard cash in Africa . How many people can say that in the rest of the world ?

There are so many opportunities even in the Congo's , and other African countries , Africa is the future market and the Chinese should not be the only people investing .

So why the change ? Why do people decide to use credit instead of saving up to buy the things they need ? Should the credit card companies be blamed for their marketing campaigns or should the consumer be the one responsible ? Should both parties be equally responsible ? Or should the blame be more on one party than the other ? Could it be a mental disease ? Or is there another explanation for it ?

I contracted the "I Can use Credit to buy anything and everything" syndrome and my first stupid mistake was buying a brand new mitsubishi galant . Anyways , Dave Ramsey has taught me a lot when it comes to debt and finances and I have decided to share it with the rest of the World . 

I know in the coming decades, when African countries begin to become more independent , Africans are going to follow the same course . But I am hoping its people are going to learn from this and not let history repeat itself in the continent. Enjoy the video !

Share your thoughts or comments :=)

1 comment:

Oyinkan Ogundipe said...

You are right. we fall into the pattern because of the split up payments. I've never bought a new car since I've been in America, but I do spend credit. good thing is Jeff HATES credit. if he doesn't have the cash, he ain't buying it. I don't mind credit so much but I try to keep it in check. I've had my share of credit issues but I'm glad it's all behind me. I realize the minimum payment is a stupid concept for the debtor and great for the creditor. but back in early college dayss with tuition to pay and working a low paying per hour job, I had to use credit for much. Now I am all about saving. I'm getting better at it even though it's not a Nigerian thing. we spend as it comes in. now I realize you have to think more about the future